It’s that time of year again! It is so, so important to do your part to help protect these little guys. Here are some things you should always do, but especially during sea turtle nesting season:
- Leave no trace! Only footprints. The Gulf County Tourist Development Council released this super informative video to share the important points of our Leave No Trace Ordinance.
- Fill in any holes on the beach prior to leaving for the day. Holes on the beaches pose a serious threat to both sea turtles and humans alike.
- If using flash lights on the beaches in the evenings, be sure to use turtle safe flashlights. You can get stickers that help make your flashlights turtle friendly at our local Welcome Center.
- If vacationing in one of our gulf front homes, be sure to close the window treatments at night, and turn off deck lights. Sea Turtles are guided by the brightest light, which is typically moonlight, so they can become disoriented from the artificial lighting.
- Never try to touch a sea turtle if you come across them on the beaches, and never disturb a nest.
- Remove all trash, along with beach chairs, tents etc. from the beach upon your departure.
The longevity of these precious animals depends on us, and their existence is so important to our ecosystem. Do your part.
For more information about Sea Turtles, and to learn how you and your family can help support the Florida Coastal Conservancy, visit the Forgotten Coast Sea Turtle Center at 1001 10th Street, Port St. Joe, Florida 32456 (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday 12pm-4pm EDT).
Visit https://www.visitgulf.com/hurricane-updates/ for the most recent list of businesses to re-open following the storm. These guys are so excited to serve you and your families.
You can also email [email protected] with any questions about the area, and for complimentary help connecting with people, places and activities that best suit you. Visit https://www.visitgulf.com/concierge-program/ to learn more.
For more local resources:
Mexico Beach Community Development Council Welcome Center
102 Canal Parkway
Mexico Beach, Florida 32456